A week ago I was wondering what living rurally would really be like, and if I would 'fit in' to the small country community of Kinohaku.
And now, we are here. Unpacked (mostly). Settling into our new home, with the school just a hop, skip, and a jump up the drive and the harbour in full view.
How does it feel now we're here?
It's home.
How could it be anything else? I have my incredible husband with me, and we're entering into this new chapter of our lives with full assurance that we're exactly where we're meant to be.
We have been blessed with this opportunity to move into a stunning part of New Zealand. We are living the dream with a view of the south end of Kawhia Harbour, surrounded by farm land and bush on every other side. The sound of bird calls wakes us in the morning, and wishes us goodnight at dusk - from the Tui, Bell bird, wood pigeon, fantails and many more. The moonlight on the sea tonight took my breath away.
I think I may already be spoiled for any other job that might take us away from the sea. Now that we have it at our doorstep, I don't ever want to move far away from it again!
We have been welcomed into the area by local people and the local wildlife. We've been given introduction into life out here by fishermen on the bridge, the boy carrying a rifle down the road, passing tractors on narrow winding roads, every local we meet waving, and meeting sheep, cows and their young, and wild goats in the middle of the road. A local sports festival shed some light on things, with competitions of wood chopping, sheep riding (bareback of course), mini putt into a dinghy, and horse riding. We missed the whaleboat racing by about a week...but might just be interested in participating in next years event (if I'm considered a local by then!).
Setting up house this time has meant more than just unpacking boxes and organising the inside. We've been able to put down some roots into the garden as well. Preparing the soil and transplanting our potted plants into the garden has been more than just another job to do. It's been rather symbolic as well.
Together, we have made a commitment to this place and this community, and so we are putting down roots. Before now our garden was borrowed from the landlords, and so what we wanted to add was planted into pots. Ready and able to be moved when the time came. That time came, and now we are able to give our plants space and freedom, just as we ourselves are being given the time, space and freedom to grow.
I'm excited for what this season of our lives will bring about. Already I sense that this chapter holds more than I can dream, hope, or predict. And I think that when the time comes for the chapter to change, that I will be leaving more of myself in this place than just the plants we have put in the garden.
My wife is amazing...she maybe a city chick, but she has a nack for it out here!! She is going to learn to shoot!!! 120 bucks a kg of possum fur...bring on the boat!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree, your wife is amazing. She will make a wonderful country chick. She is a wonderful addition to our family. XX
ReplyDelete